Kaya Consulting undertake over 100 flood risk assessments every year. The flood risk assessments cover fluvial, pluvial (surface water) and coastal flood risk. Most of these require estimation of design flood flows, design rainfall, and/or coastal levels, mathematical modelling, flood mapping and identification of flood management measures.
We carry out:
Flood risk assessments for planning submissions to support:
- Large housebuilders for planning in principle, masterplans, and detailed design
- Individual developers (single properties or small developments)
Flood risk assessments and flood studies for local authorities:
- Initial development of flood mitigation measures, including reviewing a range of options, providing design heights for flood schemes, natural flood management and cost-benefit analysis
- Expert advice
We undertake work throughout the UK and understand the different regulatory requirements across the country (Environment Agency, SEPA and NI Rivers Agency). We have also undertaken flood risk assessments overseas (Serbia, Turkey, Finland, Canada) and can develop methods of flood frequency analysis in regions with sparse data. We have established excellent relationships and contacts with the relevant authorities and work to relevant policy and legislation (e.g., Scottish Planning Policy (SPP) local council and SEPA policies and guidance).
A full flood risk assessment service is provided which can include:
- Site visits
- Design flow estimation and design storms using standard hydrological methods (e.g., FEH, REFH2)
- Extreme sea-level estimation, wave, and wave over-topping calculations
- Mathematical modelling or hydraulic calculations. We are competent with a range of modelling software including Flood Modeller, HEC-RAS.
- Flood inundation modelling and mapping
- Recommendation of flood mitigation measures
- Liaison with planning authorities, local councils and SEPA.
- A staged approach to the FRA can be provided, if required.
Kaya Consulting can provide a range of hydrological analysis, including:
- Flood frequency analysis
- Low flow analysis
- Hydrological modelling
- Other hydrological services can be provided on a job specific basis